Monday, 2 April 2012

Medieval Quiche with variations

These are recipes I've been playing with lately, and I made a few of them this last weekend. I started from an article I found online called "To Make a Tart". It involves a couple variations on an Ember Day Tart.

The base for my tarts start with a batch of my homemade pot cheese. (The cheese you use for the cheese spread.) Mix one ball of cheese with a bit of cream to make it smooth-ish, and some salt to taste. Then add 4-6 eggs, depending on how much other stuff you're adding in.

For a nice seasonal spring tart, I used chopped spring onions (green onions) with some chives and parsley. The Ember Day tart recipe calls for a bit of sugar and currants. As odd as it seemed at the time, I tried them, and have to say I really liked how it turned out. When I made a tart without the currants it was good, but the currants definitely made it better. A small sprinking of cinnamon, cloves, and mace went into the tart as well.

After mixing your eggs, cheese, and herbs, pour them into a prepared pie crust. I'm still working on making crusts, so I used refrigerated pre-made crust.

Bake at 180C/350F for about an hour, until the top is browned and the center is set.


Some variations I've done with this recipe include using leftover broccoli from the previous night's feast, or using leftover "Little leaves & Fennel".

I also tried making it with red onions instead of spring onions, but didn't like it nearly as much.

1 comment:

Lady Rhona said...

I have some pot cheese in the fridge. I was wondering what to make with it! I think I'm going to try the Ember Day one.

Easy gluten free crust alternative: oil the pan, then shake corn meal around until the bottom and lower sides are coated. Ends up tasting crust-ish, comes up clean, and is super easy.

Post a Comment